Sunday, December 31, 2006

Rolling around in the Nigerien sand

I have to apologize to my daughters in advance. Je vais etre un grand-pere terrible. I was left in charge of the nursery kids in the Sunday School here in Madaoua. My co-worker and I had a box of lego blocks and three cute little Nigerien children. I proceeded to hype up one particular kid (pictured here with the blogger) with running little tractors over him, holding blocks in the air just beyond his reach, feigning tears when his swinging lego wire hit my hand and letting him tackle me in the sand. At least the Nigerien women were grateful for my looking after him while they worshipped.

It is a great experience being here. We were fascinated earlier in the day as we followed the throngs of local residents down to the dry river bed where they worshipped Allah en masse. The Hausa King arrived by Land Rover and his sons informally paraded on horseback. We observed all of this from a distance, standing by a pair of armed guards who interpreted the events for us.

Later today we will travel to Galmi, a nearby town, where we will stage a New Year's Eve party for hospital workers there. I am still enjoying the warmth of Niger's climate very much.

Love and prayers.

1 comment:

Bengoshi said...

Anonymous said...

Je vais etre un grand-pere terrible.

Yes, but we knew that already. Just kidding :) --Bethany

10:18 AM