Friday, September 7, 2007

Missing Arlington National Cemetery

"I am too tired to go; you go without me." So, off went my friend, without me.

The JFK Memorial was alright, but my friend walked and walked much further than that. He managed to see a couple of major funerals with the casket in a carriage drawn by six white horses, with military accompaniment in full regalia.

The first was the commemoration of a mass grave from a US plane that went down in 1942. The second was for Brigadier General Jackson. My friend got fairly close, sitting in a tree at one point, before security asked him to give the families more privacy.

It was an amazing experience for him. I felt a little bad for missing out, but apparently I helped give him the idea to search out the military funerals when I first showed up in DC wanting to visit the cemetery. Probably my staying home to sleep this morning made it possible for him to keep walking all morning and seeing the most amazing funerals he had seen.

No comments: