Sunday, March 18, 2007

What's My Line?


The prompter was sorely needed. However, despite the two lead characters not knowing a large portion of their lines, the small town Saskatchewan dinner theatre on March 9 was a big hit. With the use of various rural regional references in the dialogue, it was indeed a slice of life.

Although I am greatly biased in my assessment, my son-in-law and my daughter were easily the best performers in the drama, or were at least in the top three. My son-in-law was a striking visual presence, with his acquired black tonsorial and fu manchu. His character portrayal was very pleasing, from his jumping up and down tantrum as the spoiled rich kid character, to accidently knocking himself out, to mistakingly poisoning himself. A delightful performance.

My daughter was said to be out of character. She easily grasped the "clueless" nature of her character, much like the lead in the movie of the same name. It was ditz city on stage as she pranced, jumped and squealed, all with loud enthusiasm. She may have made some parents uncomfortable in the community where she is an elementary school teacher. Don't worry folks; she doesn't act that way most of the time.

I must applaud the community for the very satisfying evening of entertainment. The dinner meal was plentiful and scrumptious, and the "sex in a pan" dessert was wonderful. And the drama, despite some missed lines, was extremely funny. It brought back fond memories of my days in a small community where a bunch of us performed Arsenic and Old Lace, almost twenty years ago.

Attending this drama was a nifty experience, and was easily worth the six hour drive from Calgary.

No comments: