Monday, January 15, 2007

Mr. Popularity

Everywhere I go publicly in Niger, a throng of people follows me in the street. I venture into the marketplace and instantly several men surround me. People are ecstatic to greet me and to shake my hand. It is so wonderful to be popular

What a difference in Canada where you are largely ignored. It is just not the same walking down the street back home. The anonymity is a constant reminder that North American people generally do not consider you to be noteworthy.

I was amazed at the reception I received in the market pictured here. As you can see, I really stood out in a crowd. The most poignant moment for me in this obscure rural market was when a group of children stood outside my truck door as I got into the vehicle to leave. I rolled down the window and extended my hand. The children then clamoured to shake my hand and I shook as many of theirs as I could as the truck pulled away.

Although I felt a bit like a politician must feel, my heart ached for these poor children in Niger, who longed for anything new, including being able to see and to touch a non-descript middle aged white guy.

No comments: