Sunday, February 7, 2010

What To Do When The Towel Rack Falls Down On Super Bowl Sunday (and your favourite team is playing, and you have already missed most of pregame show)


... because you spent so much time preparing not one, not two, but three different fowl for your annual Super Bowl turducken ritual.

Fortunately, my dear wife was a true sport today, on this day of days for this hopelessly incurable NFL fan, by assisting in poultry preparation. For you see, turducken (with this writer's recipe) requires complete and utter deboning. Which normally leads to complete and utter exhaustion and depletion of resources for me. However, my live-in BFF came to my emotional rescue and did about half of the deboning for me. This saved me lots of time and energy, and after shoving the birds into the oven, I headed for the shower with lots of pregame still remaining.

Alas, when I was toweling off following my shower, in my great haste I managed to give the towel rack a solid elbow to the chin (Gordie Howe style). In rapid succession, the holder fell off the wall, the horizontal pole fell vertical, and the remaining towels slid down to the floor, to my great horror. "Oh no! Why did this have to happen on Super Bowl Sunday?"

Partly because we share our suite with a friend, and partly because of my own obsessiveness not to leave a big mess in the bathroom, I set about to fix the disaster, while attempting to keep my grumbling to a minimum. Despite my anxiety over missing all the hype prior to the big game with my favourite team playing against my third favourite team, I managed to pound plastic anchors into the large holes in the drywall, and reattached the towel rack holder. I also managed to have the presence of mind to find the new set of tiny screwdrivers with which I could tighten the set screws to make the entire towel rack assembly solid enough to hold three towels again. Then, I quickly hung up the towels, put my tools away, and dashed off to the television set.

I don't know how much pregame I missed doing my repair job. I usually don't watch much pregame discussions anyway, because the talking heads really don't know what's going to happen on any given day, let alone in the game we are about to watch. You would think I would have the typical satisfaction of having conquered a problem, having fixed something that is broken, and made it better than it was before. But, I still couldn't get over the whole ordeal, and kept asking myself the same question: Why did the towel rack have to fall down on Super Bowl Sunday?

No comments: