Sunday, May 13, 2007

We missed going to Peters' Drive-in

I had a most interesting birthday. I can kind of blame myself for that. The others here made the mistake of letting me plan the afternoon of my birthday (they took care of the rest).

With the birthday boy driving (naturally) we headed south on Centre Street from our home in Calgary and stopped at a little dim sum restaurant. We all got out and went inside where I ordered a single order of steamed shrimp dumplings to go. The clerk at the till turned around and grabbed a container and handed it to me. I handed her some change and we left. It took thirty seconds.

We enjoyed devouring the shrimp on the sidewalk, then drove further down Centre to Safeway. Here we purchased a single order of sushi that we also ate on the sidewalk. You probably get the idea where this story is going.

Having opted out of the long lineup at Peters' Drive-in, we worked our way through downtown and onto MacLeod Trail, the main drag south of the river. We enjoyed a single baked potato with cheddar and broccoli at Wendy's, then shared a single cheese and bean quesadilla and pop at Taco Bell.

After turning around and heading north on MacLeod, we stopped for poutine and onion rings at Harvey's. Then, having driven three doors up the street from there, we finished off a couple of salads at Burger King.

We all seemed a bit fatigued by the adventure, so we ended up at Dairy Queen near our home where the birthday boy shared a blizzard with his youngest daughter, while the others enjoyed Buster Bars. Seven restaurants, spending $40 in total.

My girls then prepared a sushi party supper and a couple of our friends came over to celebrate as well. We enjoyed fresh salmon, snapper, tuna, avocado and cucumber in addition to some shrimp and smoked eel and plenty of rice and nori. Later we finished the evening with DQ frozen cake. Absolutely delightful.

Anyway, that was my birthday.

No comments: